Friday, June 20, 2008

Two good reasons to buy Buttermilk

Here are my two current favorite reasons to buy buttermilk...

The Queen's Cornbread

1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
oil, any kind

Put full T of oil in iron skillet (one seasoned with time, love, and bacon grease is best) and set in a 425° oven while mixing batter. Mix dry ingredients, add buttermilk and egg. Pour batter into hot skillet. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove, flip cornbread and let sit; to let other side brown, about 5-10 minutes. We serve hot with butter and honey.


Banana Bran Muffins

1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
1/2 to 1 c. raisin bran
2 small bananas
extra raisins if you like (I like)

Beat eggs, blend with buttermilk. Add dry ingredients to mixture and mix with a spoon. Add oil. Stir in raisin bran, bananas, and extra raisins. Fill paper cups about 1/2 full and bake 15-18 minutes at 350°. *Mixed ingredients may be kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 6 weeks. I often double this recipe, freeze at least half the muffins, and pull them out for breakfast...just stick a frozen muffin in the microwave and warm it for a quick breakfast.

1 comment:

Danielle Kagy said...

I am embarrassed to say after all of the years with my mother using iron skillets...I don't have one. What will I do? I made cornbread tonight and i am sad to say that it was horrible. I better get an iron skillet or stick to box cornbread.AAAHHHH!